Sunday, May 8, 2011

make'em sweat..........short story...........

          well at my place of my employment, work was going as usual as to be expected. while working i happened to notice the store manager and a co-manger talking amongst themselves with a concerned look upon their faces. this is not unusual because they are always stressing about something. my store manager then calls me over, so i go over to him and hes says in a short tone, that i have a call on line one and after that phone call he needed to talk to me. well who could this be on the phone? possibly my lovely wife with a list containing a few items for me to pick up. but more importantly what did the manger need to talk to me about, and why was his tone so cross?
         as i make my way to the back to answer the phone, my head is whirling with all kinds of questions. as i detach myself from my thoughts and answer the phone. hello i say, the voice on the other end is not one of familiarity but a strangers voice. the ever so pleasant lady on the other end, asks me about a transfer yes i answer, i do know of a transfer but my manager is on lunch and he knows the specifics, not i. well she goes on to say i just need to get some information from you, ok i say thinking its just business info but then she goes on to ask for my phone # and date of birth. hold on i think to my self this is not the usual  information need for a transfer it seems a little personal.
          being concerned about the  information needed, i inquired further. why do you need my phone# and date of birth, i ask. she goes on to explain that this will be my password on the new ordering system at the warehouse. more questions cloud my mind, why do i need a password at the warehouse? she then goes on to ask if she is speaking to -------- and states my full name, middle included. yes i say, she asks did you not apply for a part time summer position in the warehouse. surprised i answer  no. there must be some sort of mix up or something i say, i have no idea what your talking about. after further conversation we both come to the realization, that indeed some sort of information mix up/breakdown has occurred.
        the conversation pleasantly ends and with the confusion  straighten out, i hang up the phone. suddenly i  realize why there was a  short tone in my managers voice, and it made me smile. ya see management had gotten the phone call before me and had heard of my so called new position at the warehouse. this of course was a mistake but i thought it would be great to make'em sweat.
        so with the element of surprise on my side i proceed to find the store manger. when i locate him his face was stern and his head I'm sure was full of questions. he tells me to find the co-manger and meet him in his office. man o man,  the office that's were people go in and come out changed, weather it be for the good or bad, so off i went(doing the robot of course).
        so here i sit across a big office desk from one of the smallest most intimidating managers i know. with his co-manger sitting off to his left hand side, head slightly down making sure not to make eye contact with me. the tension is thick as the conversation begins. the first words out of his mouth," Do You Have Something You  Need To Tell Us" in a very aggravated and loud tone as if he was calling me out. like i had some secret of which i was hiding, sitting on like a mother hen covering her eggs which now were exposed and threaten to be smashed against the floor. inside i was filling with delight, wanting to laugh but keeping a casual demeanor. i answered, "no" with a sort of questioning in my tone.
         not getting the response he expected and a little confused, he then asks, "Is There Something We Should Know About", trying to get me to expose my suspected secret of different employment. but yet again i reply, "No" this time with a touch of attitude. his face reddens as a frustrated/aggravated appearance now takes over his face. he then says "Well What Do You Have To Say About That Phone Call". oh no he didn't, o yes he did, he went there and called me out. well it was about time to let the secret out of the bag before i let it go to far, ya know i still  have to work there, and he was getting a bit worked up.
         so i say, "o that phone call, there must have been some sort of mix up". this kind of draws a blank questioning look  to his face now, looking as if he doesn't  believe me and i can tell he's still flustered. now i kind of stammer a little rushing to explain the situation, and still trying to hold back my laughter. they listen to my side of the story in sort of disbelief. still not convinced they did some checking up to back up my story(phone calls). they were soon to find out that i was right, and they did look some what relieved.
         now that the drama had past and the laughter subsided i got to thinking.  what if someone had gotten my social security # and had applied for a job? so after a quick talk with management and a few phone calls later the explanation was discovered. see, apparently my name is a popular name and it just so happened that some one applied for a summer position at the warehouse with the same exact  full name as me. well someone in the hiring dept entered his name and my info came up scene i already work for the company, they automatically assumed it was me. which then lead to this little fiasco, which did cause a little stress and a little humor for the party's involved. but whats a days work without a good laugh.

1 comment:

4th sister said...

ha. thats what they get. they prob let out a little golden turd in their drawers when they thought u were leaving....teehee