Monday, November 7, 2011

Land lord test #1............

Well while out preforming the normal monthly rental duties, one of my tents told me that some times when they come home they notice a weird smell in the house. Thinking that it was probably nothing big i let them know i would crawl under the house just to check things out. So on went the head lamp and under the house I went. Once under the house I noticed water puddling up under the bathroom area. Under closer inspection I could not find a leak however the water was a little fowl and looked to be coming from else where. Long story short I discovered a leaking main sewer line toward the front of the house. A broken sewer main is a better description. None of the sewage was making to the street, it was all dumping under the house(nasty). My only option was to replace a 14foot section of castiron piping. After a quick trip to lowes(before they closed) too pick up supplies, and then dropping off Malia at sister #4's house, back to the rental i went. To get to the area in need of repair i had to crawl through maggots,raw sewage,rat droppings,spider webs,black widows(I killed at least 5),standing sewer water, and who else know what. I threw up in my mouth at least 3 times, and all most cried(just keeping it real). However I completed the job, even under these extreme circumstances, And was thrilled that I had done it myself(do it yourself Dave does it again). Time frame was 9:00-12:00pm. Why do they call it raw sewage? Do you have an option to cook it? And what would it smell like then? I am happy to have passed my first extreme landlord test. i went back a couple days later to make sure the problem had been fixed and to snap a couple pics for i was not in the picture taking mode at the time...imagine that.





 here is a pic of a 4ft section of the old sewer line, this crack went all the way down a 14ft section.





 this is a pic of the new pipe, the main sewer pipe ran alongside the duct work, making it hard to get to. now remember these pics were taken 4 days after the fix so the standing water/maggots are not visible. there was about 2-3 inches of raw sewage almost everywhere there were a couple of high spots which is where i tried to stay but to no avail.




 another angle of the new pipe, you can see the old cast iron pipe on the ground. i had 3ft clearance at the best and down to 2ft in some spots of course Ive worked in less, but not in waste run off..

5 comments:

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Yuck.

Woodie said...

unholy crap! sounds horrid. you are one tough dude. I hope those renters were duly impressed.

Davey Doo said...

The renters never new the dirty details, and I'll just leave it that way. Best they don't know they were living a top a sewer.

Woodie said...

good point. I think that would freak me out a little, anyway! :-/ Glad you caught it when you did.

Anonymous said...

you are the man!!!

Levi