Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Reuse.........

Do you ever find your mind wondering.............what did daddy Dave do with the other half of that door which he used to create an access panel on one of the rentals? Well set your mind at ease, it was put to good use and in this blog I will explain.

 

Here we have the current state of the main crawl space access, on the same house as the above pic. Being that daddy Dave uses this frequently this poorly constructed door needed to be addressed. It seems that some locals have been looking for goodies under this residence and I often arrive to find this access door ajar. One day when I visited this property all the houses on one side of the streets access doors were open, the ones which were locked were broken and the others left open. Now there really is nothing of value under my property but the current condition of the door needs to be addressed.
 

 

Here daddy Dave has taken the left over section of the door and made some adjustments, being it was too long.

 

 

Here we have the finished product, with a latch and lock access added and some stronger hinges, the door is ready for business. Now daddy Dave didn't put a lock on this door instead used a zip tie, why you may ask? If I had used a lock this would just send a message to potential theifs that there is something of value inside, and then they would break down the door only to be disappointed, giving me another project to fix. A zip tie says there's nothing of value in here, you can open the door if you want but I'm gonna know someone was snooping around(not many burglars carry a extra zip tie). You may also ask why didn't I just go ahead and make the door the same size as the opening, well I needed a spot to put a dryer vent and the construction of the house being brick and not wanting to knock out the current vents(quality constructed) or put a hole in the foundation I'm just gonna install it into the strip above the door.